The story of the historic church of Igal

Roman Catholic Church of St. Anne

Igal was populated already in the XIII. century. According to the donation certificate, the contemporary Palatinus, Moses was given the permission by King Istvan the V. to donate Igal- Puszta to the nuns of Margit Island. During the XIV. century a church was built for the memory of Saint George. Written proofs are available from the XV. century, pertainning the francisca house of hermits and also of a small church which was built for the adoration of the Holy Virgin.

 During the Turkish occupation Igal had no priest. When the occupation ended the Igal rectory was restored. The first priest was Ádám Pongrácz int he year of 1693. Igal suffered during the Kuruc-Labanc War and the town was destroyed. The church was burned down and the surviving people took refuge elsewhere. They returned only after the hostilities ended. They raised the present Calvary using the material of the ruins. Soon they built a temporary church for the memory of Saint Martin. During the year of 1750 the patron landowner, Count Károly Batthyány built the present barokk church. Ádám Péntek (1742-1768) was the first priest in the new church. They probably incorporated some parts of the old church during the constructions but the gothic style windows of the old church did not survive.The present church is 38x14 meter large and the tower is 43 meter tall, resembling the only few years older church of Andocs. 

The 13 registered organ was built by Sándor Ország in Budapest during the year of 1883. The carved main altar is a piece of art and so is the stylewise similar pulpit with the statues.

The artist of the main altar is unknown. The main figure of the painting is Saint Anna who is also the patron saint of the church. Next to Saint Anna is her husband Saint Joachim and their daughter the child Holy Virgin. Remarkable piece of art is the Painting of Saint Martin. This painting was part of the old church. Both paintings and also the interior which was constructed in secession style in 1908 were restored by János Bécsi and Attila Pintér in the years of 1975-76 under the supervision of OMF.

The space for the liturgy with the frontalfaced altar, the reading stand, chairs and candleholders were also constructed in the same years.

Miss time:

On Saturday: in winter-time:  05.00 pm
in springtime & autumn: 06.00 pm
in summertime: 07.00 pm
in springtime & autumn: all of the year:  09.00 am

7275 Igal, József Attila u. 1.
Telefon: +36 82/372-270
Parson: Lajos Süle


7275 Igal, Szent István utca 107. • +36 82/573-029 •